How to Change Your User Name in Zoom
Zoom is currently one of the most popular video meeting apps on the market. People love it for its flexibility, reliability, and ease of use. Friends and family use it to chat and share stories. Businesses use it to hold team meetings and assist with employee learning. Schools utilize Zoom for remote-learning activities and meetings due to the widespread Covid-19 problem. The list goes on.
Regardless, there are many instances where you might want to change your Zoom username. You may be using someone else’s computer and require your name to replace theirs. You may be attending a business meeting and don’t want your customized “friends” name shown. You may even need to display your full name if you only included your last name’s initial. So, how do you change your Zoom name? The answer lies below.
Things are super simple, and changing your Zoom name should not take you more than a minute or two, regardless of the platform.
Changing Your Zoom Name before a Meeting
There are three ways to change your Zoom name (based on application) before joining any session. The options include using the website, a desktop client, or a mobile app.
How to Change Your Zoom Name via the Desktop App before a Meeting
- With the desktop client up and running, click on your “profile” icon in the upper-right corner of the “Zoom” window.
- In the dropdown menu that appears, select “Sign Out” toward the bottom. Do not forget to exit the app.
- Launch the “Zoom” desktop client once more.
- Select “Join a Meeting.” Zoom then opens the “Join Meeting” screen.
- All you have to do now is type the meeting’s ID or personal link name in the upper text box and add the preferred user name (not username as in login) in the lower one.
- When done, click on the “Join” button to begin the session.
After completing the above steps, you are all set. The username you typed is the one displayed in the meeting, so choose it wisely. It can be anything you want it to be.
How to Change Your Zoom Name via the Website before a Meeting
- Launch the “file browser” on your computer and go to your “profile page.” Once there, click on the “small profile icon” in the upper-right corner of the browser window.
- Select “Sign Out” and Zoom will redirect you to the site’s Home page.
- Next, click on “Join a Meeting” in the upper menu.
- Enter the “Meeting ID” or “Personal Link Name” and click on “Join.”
- Once you click “Join,” the Launching page appears, followed by the “Join a Meeting page” once more. There, Zoom will ask you to write your name and check the Captcha to confirm that you are not a robot.
How to Change Your Zoom Name via the Mobile App on Android/iPhone before a Meeting
You can easily change your name before a meeting using the Zoom app installed on Android or iOS. The steps are the same for both operating systems.
- Launch the Zoom app on your Android or iOS device, then tap on the “Settings” cog in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- You will land on the “Settings screen,” where you can see the account info and tweak chat and meeting settings.
- Tap on your “account name” at the top of the screen. Zoom will then redirect you to the “My Profiles” screen. That is where you can change advanced settings. Scroll to the bottom and tap on the red “Sign Out” button and confirm it when prompted.
- After that, you will land on the ‘Start a Meeting’ screen. Select the “Join a Meeting” option at the bottom.
- The “Join a Meeting” screen will appear. Enter the “Meeting ID” in the top text box and your “new name” in the one below it. Tap on the “Join Meeting” button.
How to Change Your Zoom Name During a Meeting
Being one of the most flexible and easy-to-use video meeting apps on the market, Zoom allows you to change your name during a meeting too. What is more, you can change it on any device and platform at any given moment.
How Change Your Zoom Name via the Desktop App During a Meeting
- Assuming that you are already in a meeting, click on the “Participants” button at the bottom of the meeting window.
- A list of all participants in the meeting should appear on the right side of the window.
- Use your mouse and hover over your name, then click “Rename.”
- You should see a text box containing your current name. Delete it and write a new one. Click “OK” to confirm.
How to Change Your Zoom Name via the Android or IPhone Mobile App During a Meeting
- Like the desktop tutorial, we are starting from within a meeting. Your screen should look like this:
- Tap on the “Participants” icon at the bottom of the screen. The app will take you to the Participant’s screen.
- Find your name on the list and tap on it. Zoom will show you a pop-up with your username and the option to change it. Tap on the “Rename” option.
- You will see the “Enter a new screen name” frame appear on the screen. Enter a new screen name and tap the “OK” button to confirm the change.
Overall, changing your name in Zoom is a piece of cake, no matter what device gets used or when you use it. The cool thing about Zoom is you can change your displayed name before and during the meeting using the above steps.
Also, you’re not stuck with a name once the session begins, and a handful of clicks or taps plus a little inspiration is all it takes to give yourself a cool new name. Whether you want something that reflects your fun and wild personality or your professionalism, you can update the username at any time unless the administrator blocks it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I change someone else’s username in Zoom?
If you’re the meeting administrator, you should see the option to rename another user by clicking on the ‘Participants’ tab at the bottom of the meeting and selecting “More” next to the user’s name. When the option appears, type the new username and save it.
I can’t change my username in Zoom. What’s happening?
The meeting administrator has a lot of power over what you can and cannot do during a meeting. If you cannot change your username, it’s likely a Setting on the administrator’s end.
If you are the host of the meeting, you can enable users to change their names in the Settings of the Zoom web browser client. Scroll through the “Meeting” section until you find the “Allow participants to change their name” setting. Toggle the switch on, and the ability should appear.